A Sunday Stroll: Along the Quayside.

11:40

Today has been eventful. I’m sitting here shattered as I write this. I guess that’s what happens when you spend most of the day walking about. (The dog is currently snoring if that is anything to go by.) The first half of the day was spent walking in Newcastle and strolling along the Quayside. The second was spent at Beamish, but I’ll take about that another time.

Sundays are one of the best days to go to the Quay as they always have a market on. Think stalls selling goods and amazing street food. It’s been a while since I went so we thought (the family and I) we would take the dog and just have a little browse.

I was shocked by how different it was. I remember stands selling used books, DVDs and the like. Sure they are still there, but there was a huge amount of homemade things. We saw an amazing stand with mosaic mirrors, my god they were beautiful. You could walk into this little make shift room and stare at all of the pretty colours on them. There were various vintage chic type things. One had lots of plaques with quotes on them all laid out on the floor in different shades of blue. (Of course I took a picture.)

There was also lots of food stands. I’m talking chutneys, cheeses, cakes, fudge (I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.) There was even a cab that had been changed to hold a BBQ. I think it was selling pork. The place was chocker block full of food I loved it. I’m always looking for the next best foodie thing to try and I like discovering new brands.

We didn’t really get in amongst it today, as it was more about the walking. Just seeing all of the different things on offer and smelling them (gosh the smells) makes me want to go back pretty sharpish though, to start sampling everything.

I loved the atmosphere of the market. There were buskers, people playing instruments and singing. One guy in particular got a couple of laughs from his screaming voice. (I can’t even explain it.) I spotted a cartoonist and someone else doing henna art too. It was just great to see the Quay like that. It almost felt like a sort of artist community, where people were showing off their talents.


Afterwards we headed for a little walk further into town. I think Poppy was pleased to be away from the crowds. I loved it. I looked like a weird tourist taking photos of buildings. I managed to spot some places I’ve been wanting to go to for ages too, so I was pretty chuffed about that. I’m always finding places to go, but never knowing where abouts in town they are. Do any of you do that?












It's always strange seeing random people in the photos you take. It can't be helped when your're taking them in busy areas though. I don't even really notice until afterwards when I'm looking back at them. I hope people don't think I'm a weirdo just trying to get them in the frame.

The Quay market is on every Sunday from 9:30-4:00 and is free. I can't wait to go back. Next time I promise to take some envious foodie pics and eat as much as my stomach can handle. (That sounds mighty fine to me.)

Have any of you been to the market on the Quayside?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images