Perfect Beach Day at South Shields.

08:10

After our little trip to Penshaw Monument my mate Nic and I decided that the beach was our next best stop. So we set the sat nav to take us to South Shields and we were on our way. Of course we had to pop to a McDonald’s drive thru on the way. (I mean is any real road trip complete without a McDonald’s stop?)

The sat nav took us on a wild goose chase. I get that it takes you the quickest route, but lord I wish it had of just done the simpler one. Anyways we got there in the end. Unharmed too which was a plus. As soon as we pulled up to Sandhaven (South Shields) the sun was out and there was a gentle breeze too. You could still wear a jacket and not be too hot or too cold either. It was just right. We took our shoes off and ran around on the sand like lunatics. Poppy was far too hyper so I had to let her off the lead. She did really well. We found a massive stick and she played with it for ages. It didn’t last though. She spotted another dog and was off like a shot. After that I put it back on. There are only so many people you can apologise to when she’s constantly running after them and jumping up. (Dog owner problems am I right?)

It was great just paddling in the water and writing stupid things in the sand. We walked along to some of the rocks and cliffs too and tried to see if we could spy any sea type creatures in the pools. Sadly we were out of luck. We managed to get some canny pictures though so that was good.

No trip to South Shields is complete without going to Minchella & Co. Ice Cream Parlour. Oh My God! They make the most amazing ice cream. It’s right on the beach front and perfect if you’re after a sweet treat. Although the beach was pretty quiet, Minchella’s was packed. That’s definitely a good sign. We didn’t go inside but just ordered ice cream from the little window that they have. I just got the plain vanilla in a tub with raspberry sauce. (A perfect combination.) Nichola got caramel with chocolate sauce in a sugar cone. (Big error on her part, it was dripping all over her hands before she’d even taken a bite. Rookie mistake haha.)


We sat and chilled for a while just eating our ice creams and enjoying the warm weather. Poppy was pretty much on my knee wanting a taste. I left her some in the pot when I'd finished and she wolfed it down.















South Shields is a great beach to visit. The Sandhaven part has lots of cafes and restaurants right next to the beach. There is also a park and a caravan site which I think you can rent for holidays and what not. Also along the promenade you have the Ocean beach Pleasure Park. I haven't been in years, but I quite fancy a little visit. There's just something nice about playing in the arcades and being so close to the sea. It makes me feel like I'm on holiday somewhere.

The beach itself is massive and on a sunny day there's really nowhere else to be. I think it's dog friendly until the end of April. From 1 May and 30 September between the hours of 8am and 6pm its a no go zone. Parking is £3 for the day too which isn't bad at all. Let's just hope the weather stays hot so we can all enjoy the outdoors.

Have any of you been to South Shields beach? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images