An Afternoon at Lambley Farm Holiday Cottages.

05:04

There’s just something about going to a cottage that immediately makes me feel excited. I think it’s the thought of being nestled in the countryside in the middle of nowhere, a few cows grazing in the fields. It’s the excitement of the unknown. Of not caring if you have Wi-Fi signal, or being surrounded by technology. It’s seeing what the quaint little rooms and beds look like. It’s wondering how you get the stove to work. Maybe I’m getting a bit carried away, but you catch my drift. It’s all about the escapism.

So when my brother and his girlfriend Lorrii decided to spend a few days at a cottage in Northumberland, I went along with my pooch Poppy and my gal pal Nic just to have a little explore. I mean threes a crowd, but fives a whole other story. Lorrii’s dog Sim was there too. (Six is even better than five.)

I took just over an hour to get there in the car. After my Kielder drive previously I was feeling more confident. That and the fact all I had to do was follow my brother’s car, but shhh.

They were staying at Lambley Farm Holiday Cottages. Which is located in Lambley Country estate near Haltwhistle on the southern fringe of Northumberland National Park. They have self catering cottages and also fishing rights on the finest salmon river in Northumberland, which guests can use.   

As soon as we pulled into the little farm house and cottage block I immediately fell in love. It was just so quaint and charming, so rustic and homely. The name of the cottage was ‘Shalom’ and it was lovely inside. Lots of pale yellow walls and wood everywhere. Its main advantage were the views though. You could open the door straight onto a field , where just beyond, horses and alpacas were munching away on grass.


We all decided to go for a walk which consisted of trekking past sheep, down by a river up along the road and over a bridge before coming into contact with a kine of cows. (I had to Google that by the way) There were men fishing in  the water too. The sun was out and it was just a nice day for a stroll, the place was glorious too and I could have walked on for miles just taking it all in. Trying not to step in cow dung every two seconds added a little something extra to the experience.


After the eventful walk, Nic and myself went into the little games room that they have and decided to try our hand at a spot of table tennis. Just to fill you in, we aren't the worst, but there's definitely room for improvement. They have a pool table too and the most amount of computer games I've ever seen. It would definitely waste a bit of time, say if the weather is bad, or you don't fancy being outside.

I wish we could have stayed, but we had other commitments. It reminds me of the time the whole family packed up and went and stayed at the Lake District for three days of torrential rain. I'd love to go to another cottage and this has just spurred my thoughts on.

Have any of you been on a cottage stay lately? Recommend any good places?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images